The overall trend for UK residents taking any type of holiday abroad between 2008 and 2012 is one of decline. However, trips to Europe have experienced gradual growth since 2010 and represent the lion’s share of overseas holidays, according to a new YouGov report, ‘Activity and Adventure Holidays’.
The overall trend in ‘staycations’ between 2008 and 2012 shows an increase, with demand dropping off slightly in 2012, while expenditure levels have increased year on year.
- Some 36 million holiday trips abroad were taken in 2012 by UK residents.
- European holidays taken by UK residents stood at 29 million trips in 2012.
- Holidays to Europe represent 81% of total overseas holidays taken by UK residents.
- Nearly 58 million domestic holidays were taken in Great Britain in 2012, representing a 14.5% increase on 2008 figures.
- Domestic holiday expenditure stood at £13.7 billion in 2012.
Accessible 'on foot' activities most popular
For holidays taken in the last five years, walking and rambling vacations are the most popular activities among the respondents (both in the UK and overseas). A high proportion of domestic holidaymakers also favour hiking and cycling trips, while for those travelling abroad, overland tours and wildlife adventure trips are also popular.
- 52% of respondents have taken a walking/rambling holiday in the UK in the last five years, while 27% have done so overseas.
- 26% of respondents have taken a hiking/trekking holiday in the UK while 21% have done so overseas.
- 17% of respondents have taken a cycling/mountain biking trip in the UK compared with 10% doing so overseas.
- Overland tours overseas have been taken by 27% of respondents and 22% have taken an overseas wildlife adventure trip (i.e. safari, whale-watching).
Booking and payment behaviour
The majority of respondents book their holiday between one and three months before the departure date; however, a sizeable proportion opt for a more last-minute approach by booking four weeks or less in advance (19%).
A third (32%) of respondents book between 1-3 months before their holiday, and nearly a quarter (22%) spend between £1,001 and £2,000, while a further 15% spend between £2,001 and £4,000.
For more information, contact the YouGov press office via email or call +44(0)20 7012 6015.