The King’s Speech has come out as the British public’s choice for Best Film at the 83rd Academy Awards, or ‘Oscars’, our poll has revealed. Toy Story 3 came in as the second most wanted Oscars’ win for Best Film, with Inception taking the third most popular choice.
- 40% want to see The King’s Speech awarded the Oscar for Best Film
- 11% thought animated family movie Toy Story 3 deserved the honour of Best Film
- 7% would give the Oscar to mind-bending blockbuster Inception
- 28% said they still unsure
Natalie Portman inspired the most support for Best Actress, a category for which The King’s Speech was not nominated.
- 30% of people asked thought the award for Best Actress should go to Natalie Portman for Black Swan
- Coming in second (8%) and third (3%) place were Nicole Kidman for Rabbit Hole and Annette Bening in The Kids Are Alright respectively
- Not everyone had made up their mind though, with 55% saying they weren’t sure who to choose
Still in the running
The King’s Speech has been a runaway success since its release, making £3,500,000 in its opening weekend and topping the box office in both the UK and Ireland. Not only has the film received widespread public praise it has also experienced a very positive critical reception, with the film magazine Empire awarding it the top rating and commenting, ‘You’ll be lost for words’.
However, as our poll lists the real nominations made by the Academy, which relate primarily to American cinema, some of the films nominated have not yet been as publicised as The King’s Speech in the UK. As the large numbers of ‘don’t knows’ suggest, this indicates that there may still plenty of time for other Oscar nominees such as The Winter’s Bone, Biutiful and The Fighter to make up lost ground among our panellists as the big night approaches.
The 83rd Academy Awards ceremony takes place on Sunday, February 27th.