Take That singer and producer Gary Barlow has been voted as the most popular choice to take over from Simon Cowell should the pop music mogul leave the next series of television phenomenon The X Factor in order to judge the forthcoming US version, our poll for the Sun has found.
Famously outspoken Sharon Osborne and former Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger came in second and third place respectively, having both appeared as judges on the show already in previous series.
- Gary Barlow topped the poll with one in five (20%) British The X Factor viewers choosing him
- 18% favoured Sharon Osborne
- 16% chose Nicole Scherzinger
- Barlow’s bandmate Robbie Williams came next on 14%
- While velvet-voiced crooner Michael Bublé completed the top five with 10%
Missing Mr Nasty
But while pop music mogul Simon Cowell may be known as Mr Nasty, a substantial majority of British The X Factor viewers think that the television phenomenon would be worse if he were to leave as a judge.
- 76% of British adults who watched the last series of The X Factor said that the programme would be worse if Simon Cowell left to become a judge on the American version of the show, a move which he is rumoured to be considering
- Just 4% thought it would be better without him
- And 17% were ambivalent, saying it would probably make no difference if he left
Cole vs. Cowell?
Simon Cowell, mastermind behind such television powerhouses such as Pop Idol, Britain’s Got Talent, and of course, The X Factor, is rumoured to be leaving the hit UK version of the show to be a judge on the new US version. The two shows will be filmed at the same time as each other. Fellow judge Cheryl Cole, who was herself propelled to fame following the talent show Popstars: The Rivals in 2002, is also reportedly moving to judge the new show. However, British viewers are more ambivalent regarding her potential move across the pond, with 38% saying it would be a ‘good idea’ and 36% a ‘bad’ one.