Brits are confident of a European victory at the Ryder Cup as the competition begins, our survey reveals. 78% of those interested in the Ryder Cup believe that Europe will reclaim the trophy from the US in the biennial golf competition.
Both teams are seen as having key players for the competition this year.
- English golfer Lee Westwood is considered the best player at this year’s Ryder Cup, selected by 19% of those interested in the competition.
- North Americans Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods are also favourites, each receiving 14% of the interested population’s vote. Padraig Harrington, Rory McIlroy and Jim Furyk were selected by 6%.
Lee Westwood is the firm favourite out of the European team as well, selected as the best European player by 36% of those interested in the Ryder Cup.
- Other popular players include Rory McIlroy from Northern Ireland (17%), Padraig Harrington from Ireland (7%), Miguel Ángel Jiménez from Spain (6%) and Ian Poulter from England (5%).
- Although the Miliband brothers have dominated headlines this week, the Ryder Cup brings along a new pair of high profile brothers. Italians Edoardo and Francesco Molinari are the first brothers to play in the competition since 1963. From the US team, Phil Mickelson is considered the best player, selected by 38% of those interested in the Ryder Cup.
- Despite the recent scandal in which Tiger Woods admitted having multiple affairs, he was chosen as a wildcard for the US team and is considered the best American player in the Ryder Cup by 23% of the interested population.