While the Apple Store is still the most popular choice for handset users when downloading apps, 18 to 25 year olds are much more likely than average to download apps from BlackBerry App World, a new report from YouGov SixthSense into the handsets and apps market has revealed.
The report underlines the fact that while the Apple Store and Android marketplaces are most likely to cater to older clientele, BlackBerry App World is popular among young adults, with over a quarter of 18 to 24 year old app downloaders using the site– almost double the average of all app users who also use BlackBerry App World.
- BlackBerry App World is popular among young adults, with over a quarter (27%) of 18-24 year old app downloaders using the site
- This is compared to the average (14%) of all app users who also use BlackBerry App World
- Meanwhile, of those within the 18 to 24 year olds age-bracket women (38%) are far more likely than men (17%) to opt for BlackBerry apps
- Of those who say they have ever downloaded an app, a third (33%) revealed that they had done so ‘in the past 3 days’
- Meanwhile, over a quarter (27%) did not download an app within the 4 weeks immediately preceding their participation in the study
- In terms of quantity of apps downloaded, 48% of those who have downloaded apps in the past say that they currently have between 1 and 10 apps and 30% say they have between 11 and 30 apps, while an app-happy 8% have hoarded 51 apps or more
- Of the number of downloaders, only 44% say they have actually paid to download an app
The YouGov SixthSense report also calculated the rate at which apps are downloaded by handset users. Of those who say they have ever downloaded an app, a third says that they did so within 3 days prior to contributing to the YouGov report while over a quarter did not download an app within the 4 weeks immediately preceding their participation in the study.
Young people and BlackBerry use
Speaking on the report findings James McCoy, Research Director for YouGov SixthSense, said, ‘Much of the analysis of recent days has underlined the connection between young people and BlackBerry use. YouGov SixthSense research further validates this theory while giving wider results on the use of handsets and apps across the UK population.’
For more information please contact the YouGov press office via email or call us on +44(0)20 7012 6015.