Public sceptical of government house-building aims

Milan DinicDirector - Content Strategy and Innovation
September 23, 2015, 4:42 PM GMT+0

64% think the government is unlikely to build a million new homes by 2020, with 25% saying there is “no way” that is going to happen

The housing crisis has become an issue in the lives of many people in the UK trying to settle down. The National Housing Federation estimated that 974,000 homes were needed between 2011 and 2014 to meet demand. However, according to the figures from 326 councils – only 457,490 were built. Housing minister Brandon Lewis has said the government will build a million homes by 2020 to tackle the issue.

First Verdict, found that 64% believe the government is unlikely to achieve this goal, with 25% saying there is ‘no way’ this will be fulfilled. Together, this is 89% who do not trust the government’s promise. Just 1% believe the fulfilment of this pledge to be ‘very likely’ with 4% believing it to be ‘likely’.

Many reasons have been mentioned in the media as cause to the housing crisis – skyrocketing rents and ballooning house prices; complicated building procedures; shortage of land and skilled labour… Not all see the government as being most responsible. One of the comments received pointed out that ‘many people who do not live in the UK buy many of the properties that are built’ thus suggesting the disadvantaging of those who live in Britain, while another suggest most of the homes being built are ‘not affordable’.

According to Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity, on average house prices are now almost seven times people’s incomes. The charity claims there are now more than nine million renters in private rented accommodation, including almost 1.3 million families with children. It also points out that the number of homeless households has risen to more than 50,000 a year.