It is YouGov's policy to respect the privacy of its Members. YouGov will never edit, share or disclose any personal information about you without your prior consent. In the course of your membership of YouGov, YouGov may acquire personal data and information about you which you have provided in the course of registering with a YouGov Panel or participating in YouGov Activities. This information may include, your name, home address, email address, telephone number and other generic information provided in relation to your participation in specific YouGov Panels or YouGov Activities. This information will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and also in accordance with the Market Research Society Code of Conduct.
In this regard, YouGov undertakes only to use the data you supply to us according to the following conditions:
- We will not rent or sell any data which may personally identify you to any third party.
- You will never receive communications from any third party as a result of using the YouGov site, participating in YouGov research activities or becoming a YouGov panel member, unless you specifically opt to do so.
- Your data may be disclosed to clients for research purposes. Such data will only be supplied in anonymised, non-attributable form such that no party external to YouGov could use the data to personally identify you, or to contact you by any means.
- Your anonymised data may be disclosed to business associates, marketers or advertisers for the promotion of YouGov services. By way of example, we may disclose to an advertiser the percentage age groups of our Members. Such data will be supplied in anonymised, non-attributable form such that no third party could use the data to personally identify you, or to contact you by any means.
- Research results may also be released into the public domain. This is typically in aggregate form (e.g. 20% of respondents said blue was their favourite colour) and will not result in the disclosure of any personal identifying information.
- We will clearly state why we are collecting personal information and how it will be used. At your request we will allow you to inspect and edit any personal data relating to you.
- YouGov undertakes to store your personal data securely. The accessing and processing of personal data by YouGov personnel will be restricted to business requirements including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Research data analysis
- Panel communications (please see below)
- Fulfilment of prizes and payments
- Technical processing
- Addressing of queries, technical problems or complaints
- You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your login information (your username and password). You are fully responsible and agree to indemnify YouGov against, all activities (including for the avoidance of doubt, the activities of persons other than yourself) that occur under your login or account. You must ensure the full exit from your Panel-based access at the end of each session (this is particularly important for those using a shared computer).
- We cannot ensure that private communication and other identifiable personal data will never be disclosed in ways not described in this section. By way of example (without limiting the foregoing) we may be forced to disclose the data to a government agency lawfully requesting the same or to any court acting in pursuance of its powers. We reserve the right to and you hereby agree to allow us to disclose any information about you to law enforcement, government officials or to any court or court officials as we in our sole discretion believe necessary or appropriate.
- Nothing in this Agreement relating to the confidentiality of information shall prevent or hinder YouGov from complying with its legal obligations as to disclosure or otherwise under the Data Protection Act 1988.
- By becoming a YouGov Member you agree to allow YouGov to communicate with you in relation to your membership of the YouGov Panel(s) and opportunities to participate in YouGov Activities. These include but are not necessarily limited to communications relating to:
- YouGov polls
- Other forms of YouGov research
- YouGov research results
- YouGov newsletters
- Changes which may affect your participation in YouGov activities
- Panel care communications (e.g. account queries and / or complaints)
- Payment or prize fulfilment
Besides payment or prize fulfilment, communications will typically take place via email. YouGov will always use this communication method responsibly.